Welcome to my crazy world ! I am a 49-year-old widow who did not ask to be back in the dating world, but have had it thrust upon me. My son doesn't want me to date, but says I should find a "nice old widow lady to hang out with!" Some days I think that would be easier!



Thursday, April 1, 2010

Family functions

Happy Easter everyone. I wish you all a joyous and blessed Easter with your loved ones and lots of chocolate eggs.
I will be spending Easter without one person who has come to mean quite a bit to me over the past few weeks, as it is deemed "inappropriate" by certain members of my family for me to bring him to a family gathering. Words like "too soon" and "not fair to the kids" have been thrown about, mostly for guilt purposes I imagine.
I can understand the thought that it may be too soon. It is the second Easter without Todd, so we have finally gotten the firsts over with, but I don't think my kids are ready to have mom's guest at the family table. I have spoken to Mr. Blind about this, and he thankfully understands. I think I am having more trouble understanding it than he is. I have never been one to take relationships lightly. I did not parade a band of idiots through the house before choosing Todd...... okay, maybe one or two bad apples in college, but I only introduced them to my family so that I could get a free ride home ! Our home has always been opened, especially at holidays, to anyone that didn't have a place to go..... friend, acquaintance, roommate, etc. So why is it that when I want to share a special family time with a new friend, I am not allowed ? Very few people have met Mr. Blind.....my mom, my sister, my cousin, and my daughter are the only ones. So is this sudden reluctance to meet him because my family doesn't think I should be dating or is it because they want to shelter my children from the fact that I am dating ? My children are not children anymore. They are now 20 and 21-years-old. I understand that I can't force a relationship I am having down their throats, but they have to grow up and understand that I am not going to be alone for the rest of my life, that I enjoy being with Mr. Blind, and that I am not trying to replace their father in any way, shape or form. I think my mom needs to realize this too and know that I am not a 48-year-old virgin. Does that make me a bad person ? I don't really think so.
How much time is it going to take for it to be appropriate that I have someone I want to spend time with ? How fair is it to Mr.Blind to not include him in my family ? At some point that is going to be a problem, I imagine.
I guess for now, since he is okay with not being included in Easter, I will be happy that he wants to be with me, and I will be happy that I want to be with him. Maybe I will even sneak away and drop an Easter basket off at his house for him, so he knows I am thinking of him. Maybe taking it one day at a time is the best thing to do. Perhaps eventually my family will meet him, and perhaps they won't. Who knows what the future will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment