Welcome to my crazy world ! I am a 49-year-old widow who did not ask to be back in the dating world, but have had it thrust upon me. My son doesn't want me to date, but says I should find a "nice old widow lady to hang out with!" Some days I think that would be easier!



Thursday, July 22, 2010

Starting a new life, one step at a time !

I just got back from my first job interview in over 20 years. This is all part of the reinventing process that I think I need. Was the interview successful ? I doubt it. I have the sales skills needed. I have the industry knowledge. I have written press releases for events and activities 'til I was blue in the face. Do I have any of them still ? Hell no. That was years ago. Who knew I'd ever need those things again ! Writing is a skill like riding a bike. Even if you don't do it for a few years, you still know If I had an iphone I could twitter like a frickin' bird. But that's not the type of thing someone wants to hear in an interview. They want me to show them an ecommerce page I have designed and to show them how much e-tracking I did and how much e-sales. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ! I am trying to be hip and now, but I am afraid I am behind the times! I was supposed to be preparing for retirement at this stage of my life, once college was all paid for. Now I am looking at at least 25 more years of work, and I don't know how to twitter. I'm a veritable dinosaur !

So while I'm inhaling a bag of tortilla chips.... my "go to food" for battling depression and frustration...... Mr. Blind texts to ask me how the interview went. Good thing he didn't telephone, because if he heard the crunching he would know I was putting myself into a chip coma. I told him I looked nice, but I didn't think I was what they were looking for in the job.
His response, "Well I'm sure if they have anything better suited they'll give you a call."
It's the absolute perfect response. Kind without being condescending. Ego bolstering but understanding at the same time. How can someone who says he suffers from depression be so wonderful at being positive and at making others feel good about themselves ? And where do I get a prescription !

No comments:

Post a Comment