Welcome to my crazy world ! I am a 49-year-old widow who did not ask to be back in the dating world, but have had it thrust upon me. My son doesn't want me to date, but says I should find a "nice old widow lady to hang out with!" Some days I think that would be easier!



Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Definition

How does one define themselves ? I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I used to define myself as someone's wife, two someone's mothers, someone's daughter, someone's sister, an Italian Catholic, and as someone in the print industry.....pretty much in that order..... though I know Todd thought I spent an awful lot of time doing work-related things, especially when i would spend hours on the computer during every vacation ! ( wow, talk about a run on sentence !)
Now instead of being someone's wife, I WAS someone's wife. It pretty much changes the view.

When I was younger I always wanted to be independent. I couldn't wait to get through school and become a career person. I didn't want to have to rely on anyone for anything. Ahhhh, the follies of youth ! Independence is wonderful, but it is nothing compared to having someone to share with. Yes, I have always worked and have always contributed to the finances..... my job didn't pay nearly as much as Todd's, but I contributed just the same. But it's not even about finances. Those of you in committed relationships know. It is wonderful to have someone to talk to. To have someone to share the ups and downs of life with. When the kids are driving me crazy, I like having someone on my side...... or at least someone who will listen to me complain ! It was nice having someone to share decisions with. It was nice having someone to share a bowl of ice cream with. It was nice knowing that someone was there when you reached out during the night.

I don't really know where I am going with this. I like to think that I can now, and for the next fifty years, be a strong, independent woman who calls the shots, takes no prisoners, and doesn't need to find another person to help define me. But is that truly what I want ?

No comments:

Post a Comment