Welcome to my crazy world ! I am a 49-year-old widow who did not ask to be back in the dating world, but have had it thrust upon me. My son doesn't want me to date, but says I should find a "nice old widow lady to hang out with!" Some days I think that would be easier!



Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dating and kids

My son walked by while I was looking at a dating profile site, and he absolutely flipped out. Yelled at me that there was no way I was going to start dating already..... that he would fight anyone who came to the house for a date. Obviously he is not ready for his mother to start dating. Perhaps because he is not dating !
I remember my late husband telling me that when he was a teen, ( his mother died when he was 12-years-old), his father had a better social life than he and his brothers did. He said it was really difficult going through the whole dating scene while his father was dating also. I understand that, but my son is 21-years-old. Yes, he still lives at home ( until I can find and afford an apartment in San Francisco for him), yes, he was absolutely devastated at his father's sickness and death, but his reaction still surprised me. I asked him if he wants me to be lonely for the rest of my life. He said no, but that he is not ready for me to date yet. What do I do? Do I tell him it is none of his business ? Do I understand his viewpoint, take it to heart, and not date anyone until he is ready ? Do I date, but be sneaky about it ? It is quite a dilemna.
What I couldn't really explain to my son is that I don't really think I am ready to date either, but I feel like I have to put myself out there and just dip my toes in the water. If I wait too long, I will never take that leap.

No comments:

Post a Comment