Welcome to my crazy world ! I am a 49-year-old widow who did not ask to be back in the dating world, but have had it thrust upon me. My son doesn't want me to date, but says I should find a "nice old widow lady to hang out with!" Some days I think that would be easier!



Thursday, February 11, 2010

Salsa without a partner

Just back from Salsa dance class. It is not as much fun without a partner. There are younger couples there getting ready for their wedding. Their are older couples who look at each other so lovingly across the dance floor. It makes me very lonely.
Then I come home and log on to the dating web site only to see "people interested in you -- 0." Great, even cyberspace is rejecting me.

My mother let me know that she put the word out in town that I was ready to date again. I know she felt she was being supportive and loving, but for Pete's sake. I am a 48-year-old woman ! I felt like I was in a middle aged production of Fiddler on the Roof, with a very familiar yenta. Truth be told, when I was in high school sitting home with a bowl of ice cream because I didn't have any dates, the people's sons she tried to fix me up with were pretty bad. As a favor to my dad, one mother asked her son to go out with me. We had never met, but he had been drinking the entire night before and showed up at the door with vomit all down the front of him. Not the best moment of my life. Here's the kicker, I went out with him anyway so our parents wouldn't be disappointed. How lame is that ?
Actually, now as an adult I am friends with his sister and I haven't the heart to tell her just what a cad her baby brother was. One of these days I am going to have to stop being nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment